24 August, 2011


Conditions looked promising for a migrant fall today with early rain giving way to sunshine. In the event I only managed to do less than half the patch in 4+ hours - sticking to the western end around Climping. Plenty of common migrants were about, notably 35 Whitethroats and 60+ Wheatears, also 3-4 Redstarts, 5 Lesser Whitethroats, c.10 Blackcaps, a couple of Whinchats, 15+ Willow Warblers and a Garden Warbler, though only 2 fly-over Yellow Wagtails were noted. It felt like there just had to be something scarcer around, but despite much searching my only reward was flushing a Grasshopper Warbler; it showed well from the bottom of a bush, until I reached for my camera! Sadly no other birders were covering the east end of the patch today or the golf course, but I wouldn't mind betting the true numbers at the Gap today were at least double my totals.